Total Pageviews

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

What To Wear On Your First Cruise


Hi Guys,

Usually I do a WorkWear Wednesday post but a Style4Curves reader named Jasmine contacted me to do a collage or a blog post about what I would wear on a cruise. She is a budget shopper like myself and prefers places like Forever 21 and Torrid.

This past March my Husband and I both went on our first Cruise to the Bahamas. I didn't share pics on my social media because I wanted to keep those memories private. I OBSESSED about what to wear and frequented sites like Cruise Critic trying to see what people actually wore on a cruise. One thing I kept seeing was to NOT overpack which of course I didn't heed and ended up taking this HUGE suitcase filled with clothes I didn't wear 1/3 of. That brings me down to my next point. What do I think are some basics a plus size woman should take on a cruise?

1. A Maxi. It will be sticky and hot and the last thing you want will be a bunch of clothes that stick to you. I swear one of the maxis I took with me I wore like 2 or 3 days out of my 7 day cruise seriously. I quickly realized that people on the Cruise Boat are more about comfort than style and honestly no one cares about what anyone else has on or if it's stylish or not. People were trying to eat, drink to their hearts content, and relax. No one cared if you wore the same thing yesterday.

2, A Maxi Skirt. For women who are more into skirts than dresses, a maxi skirt would be a great option paired with a tank or tee. You could also pair a sheer maxi on top of your swimsuit for a makeshift coverup.

3. 2 Swimsuits. I think you should take at least 2 swimsuits if the cruise is a 7 day but if you really like water have plenty of options because most of the cruise will be spent by the pool relaxing especially on a 7 day. If you are shy get a cute cover-up as well to walk around the boat in but when I got by that pool I saw so many women parading around their voluptuous bodies without a care in the world, that it made me less shy about showing mine off. Forever, Target, and Walmart are all places to get cute swimwear.

4. Crocs. Don't Laugh. I know the original ones are hideous but the ones that have come out now in sandal form are complete feet savers. The walking at the ports is NO Joke plus if you have them on under a maxi no one can tell anyway. Click HERE to purchase the crocs I wore frequently on my cruise.

5. Something to prevent chafing. I wrote a blog post about the best thing I've found so far for chub rub HERE. I used this on my cruise and it was a lifesaver.

6. Crossbody bags. Walking around on the boat you will not be wanting to carry a purse or a clutch all the time so my crossbody bags came in very handy. I was able to carry my necessities without having my hands tied up. (Let's be honest I kept drinks in my hand the whole time).I found some cute options HERE and HERE.

7. A Big Hat/Sunglasses. The Sun was always in my face. I wish I had taken a big floppy hat but I didn't but my oversized shades sure came to my rescue the entire time so don't leave those.

8. Sunscreen. Self-Explanatory.

9. An Elegant Dress for Formal Night. On my cruise they had a formal night where women dressed very elegant. I would suggest a very cute dress or a nice romper for Formal Night.

10. Shorts. I would take at least one pair of shorts. You can dress them up or down and take them from day to night as well.

11. A Light Jacket. Sometimes it can get cool on certain areas of the ship so take a light jacket just in case.

Overall, I would say pack the least amount of items you can but make sure they can go from day to night.  Jasmine I hope this helps. If you need additional help email me.

Dress- Wet Seal
Bags- Similar to the ones I linked to on the crossbody section
Leopard Flats- DSW
Heels- Torrid

Shorts - Similar at JCP
Heels- Torrid 
Flat Sandals- DSW 
Screen Tee- Any Graphic tee will do.

Maxi Skirt- similar at Torrid

Until Next Time,
XOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXO

5 comments:

  1. Great info! I did the same thing you did on my first cruise...overpacked! AND I took all my cute heels...fail! I love your suggestions because they allow you to be cute and comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ikr I did the same thing!!!! All bad lolllllllllllllllll

      Delete
  2. The outfit you picked are all beautiful,
    wish I can go on a cruise! now you got me dreaming, LOL

    www.auxcapricesdeflore.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Omg I love all three....especially the last one!! This is a good idea that way you don't over pack!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this whole move to loving the curvy body. Having been a very little girl in the era of Twiggy, the damage done to a whole generation of women by the fashion industry can't be overstated. Keep the momentum going ladies. Long live the era of Real Women with curves a la Marilyn Monroe. Oh..and I'm going on a 7 day cruise in April. Thanks so much for the great tips. They're awesome :)

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments!! I try to answer them all b/c I appreciate my loyal readers!