Total Pageviews

Thursday, July 19, 2012

Breaking Away From All Black


Hello ladies,

I haven't done a topic of the day in awhile so I decided to answer a question that a lot of my readers email me about. How can I wear color?

For me, wearing colorful clothing is about more than clothes. It's much more than a fashion statement. A lot of women have the misconception that black is the best color choice for plus size women and it will automatically make you look thinner. I was once a victim of that thinking and at one point I had a closet filled with so much black it literally looked like my closet was having a funeral. One day I decided to stop acting like I was mourning my weight gain. No I wasn't the skinny girl I once was, I was a full figured woman determined to make the best of my figure and get my self esteem back. I gained weight I didn't die! I refused to let my weight get in the way of me living a happy life and going out and having fun in pretty clothes.

My closet makeover started with shoes. I started buying shoes in every color of the rainbow.... then I started buying colorful accessories. After getting compliments about my new colors, I got the courage to start buying clothes in color and the rest was History. When I looked in the mirror, the color truly made me happy from the inside out.

You DO NOT have to wear black to look sexy or thinner. I actually have some black items in my closet that make me appear heavier than some of my colored clothes. You CAN wear color. The key to wearing color is the fit and the fabric. Also, try wearing color on the part of your body you feel the most confident about. If you love your legs, try a colored skirt or pant. If you love your boobs, try color on top and rock a darker bottom.

I challenge each one of you to step outside of your comfort zone, and rock a color that you never have before. It is sooooooooooo liberating. You will be surprised how much better you feel about yourself when you are in an outfit that makes you stand out from the crowd. Throw away those baggy I hate my figure clothes.  Next time you are shopping and have to choose between black and color, get the COLOR. Life is too short to wear boring clothes and blend in :)





Until Next Time,
XOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXO

20 comments:

  1. Awesome post! I used to shy away from color as well. I started off wearing a pop of color via my accessories but then, partly through blogging, I begin to colorblock and rock bright colors! Now, I've gotta stop shying away from patterns!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. U better stop shying way and rock those patterns girlie!

      Delete
  2. I agree, I preach this all the time! Well said!

    ClassAKAlyChic.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just came across your blog and love it! Hope you will visit mine too! Let me know if you want to follow each other! Take care!

    http://flairbybrandi.blogspot.com
    xo,
    Brandi

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a big fan of colour! You should see my wardrobe, there is hardly any black in there, other than a basic bodycon skirt and black tights, haha.

    HEART COLOUR!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. ank you for this. always i try to remind myself. i hope to get there sooner. one step at a time.
    keep inspiring sister.
    xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will most definitely get there!! And I sure will!

      Delete
  6. AMEN!!!!! I have always been a LIGHT BRIGHT but I've toned it down tremendously over the years only because I would always end up with shoes and didn't have nothing to go with them so now I just make it a point/promise to be sure that I'm going to wear an item more than once before I purchase it!

    COLOR is now the new BLACK! LOL!

    Xoxo
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yassssssss I do the same with new purchases!

      Delete
  7. Amen! I LOVE wearing colour. I'm not even sure when exactly I found the confidence and stopped wearing lots of black, but I'm so glad I did. I actually find I feel more confident in colour than in black and neutals!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's right! I think you look amazing in everything you wear!!! Keep doing you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I completely agree with this post, and it's definitely something I've been working on this past year. Now when I look in my closet, I see VARIETY. :)) My bff used to tease me all the time about wearing black all the time. She'd actually warn me, pre-going out, 'You'd better not wear black!' lol I've officially made her proud these past few months. lol

    Have a great weekend mama!

    xoxo,
    Nica

    ReplyDelete
  10. I see here a lot of expression and character, I like!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've always liked color in my outfits. Even if I do wear black or dark colors I make sure to add a pop of color somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Agree black do NOT always make you look smaller I love outfits with a pop of color
    www.chantelovesbeauty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments!! I try to answer them all b/c I appreciate my loyal readers!