Total Pageviews

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Fish and Grits- Book Review

Happy Humpday!!!

Nothing will get you over a Hump like a great read!! Last week I read Fish and Grits by Tina- Smith Brown and it was one of most well written pieces of literature that I've read in a VERY long time. I love the urban literature and quick read chick-lit type books just as well as the next person, but at a point it gets very redundant and predictable. Writers like Richard Wright, Toni Morrison, J California Cooper, and Bernice McFadden have a special place in my heart.

This book was the story of Kala Brown, the 14 year old daughter of a drug using mother and an abusive and child molesting father. After both of her parents were killed, one at her hands, and the other by a cruel twist of fate, she took the responsibility of raising her 4 younger siblings with the help of her fish dreams that always warned her of future events. The first sign of their redemption was the fried fish they ate to celebrate their Father's death (he forbid them to eat fish before he died).Before her parents died, they were used to empty stomachs and starvation, but Kayla did whatever she could to make sure they ate something. In spite of their living conditions in the projects or as they called it the Concrete Jungle, Kayla pushed them to excel and tried to set a positive example the best way she knew how.

After their Uncle Charlie, a cross dressing gay ex marine makes their way into his life, the kids experience love and comfort in ways that they never had. They finally for once had a real mother and father all wrapped up in one.

Get this book it was definitely an AMAZINGGGGGGGGG READ!!!!!!! It was only 2.99 on my Amazon Kindle!!!






Until Next Time,
XOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXO

12 comments:

  1. I AM ON A READING FRENZY SO I AM GONNA ADD THIS TO MY LIST... CURRENTLY I AM READING THE 3RD FIFTY SHADES BOOK AND AFTER THAT I WANT TO READ HARLEM REDUX RECOMMENDED BY ANOTHER FRIEND OF MINE!!! THANKS FOR THE RECOMMENDATION!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am on a frenzy as well!!! Im trying to read one book a week!

      Delete
  2. interesting - I need to find time to pick up a book..ugh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. u definitely do! It's a great escape!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for sharing... I will be adding this to my list of MUST READS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You guys are soooo welcome!!! It's definitely worth a read!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, this definitely sounds like an interesting read. The title caught my attention, as it's a Southern-styled breakfast cuisine. Lol. Also, Cooper and Morrison and Wright are some awesome writers. I've never read McFadden but heard good things about her writing skills.

    Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a definitely a thought provoking page turner. Sugar was the first book I read by Bernice McFadden and it blew me away!!!

      Delete
  6. This sounds like an interesting/good read. I just downloaded the Kindle ap for my iPad; I think I will make this my first purchase. Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments!! I try to answer them all b/c I appreciate my loyal readers!